Alas, I am officially in the midst of my last semester as a college student. With the major life shifts that are waving at me from the distance and the stress of studies settling in, I have found myself reaching for tasty, one-handed bites to fuel me through another chapter. I decided to recreate my favorite guilty pleasure: Amy’s Roasted Vegetable Pizza. There is something about standing over a sizzling pot of caramelizing onions that settles the nerves; every crackle and pop is a whisper of encouragement and a cast of good fortune. Patiently watching as the crispy, tear-jerking onions turn from bright white to gooey golden goodness is a reaffirmation that the end will be good, and tasty.
ROASTED VEGGIE FLATBREAD
makes 2 flatbreads, serves 4
5 large yellow onions, peeled and sliced
2 tbsp coconut oil* (plus extra as needed)
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
5 artichoke hearts, halved (drained, cleaned, and dried)
5 white button mushrooms, thickly sliced
1 large red bell pepper, thickly sliced
3 tbsp coconut oil*
22oz pizza dough (I used ready-made dough from Whole Foods)
*OR oil of your choice
– Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Caramelized Onion Base
– In a large skillet heat coconut oil on med-high.
– Use a small piece of sliced onion to test heat; onion should sizzle. Once hot, add onions to skillet, spread evenly and sprinkle with sea salt.
-Allow onions to brown at the bottom of the pan, about 3-5 minutes, DO NOT STIR. (TIP: prepare roasted veggies while waiting for onions to brown)
– Once bottom is brown stir thoroughly and allow any white onions to brown. Continue to brown and stir. If your skillet becomes dry add extra oil to prevent burning.
– Once all onions are golden brown reduce heat to med-low. Continue to stir until onions are gooey and soft.
– Turn off heat and add balsamic vinegar.
– Toss red bell pepper, mushrooms, and artichoke hearts in coconut oil.
– On parchment paper lined baking sheet, evenly spread veggies – place peppers skin side down.
– Place in oven to roast for 20 minutes or until golden brown on bottom.
– Remove veggies and reduce oven to 375 degrees.
Roasted Veggie Flatbread
– Lightly flour a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
– Split dough in two. Roll out evenly until about 1/4 inch in thickness.
– Spread caramelized onion base, top will roasted veggies, and brush crust lightly with oil.
– Bake at 375 for 25 minutes or until crust is golden brown.